Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21 Next page Last page  View All

Partner camhead

Mar 11, 2011, 2:59 PM
Post #226 of 509 (4023 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rufsen] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Rufsen wrote:
enigma wrote:
Thanks for the Twlight Zone

What's your thought on blue zones where people live 100 and stay healthy, such as Okinawa, Ikaria, Sardina. and Costa Rica island on the Nicoya Penisula ? Are these people eating differently? What do you attribute these blue zones relationship and their diet?

So populations who live next to the ocean seem to live longer. Maybe something in their diet works swimmingly to protect them against cardiovascular disease.

But what could it be? Something they have in common, somehow related to their diet, these people who live next to the ocean.

Yes, but in light of this morning, we are seeing that there are drawbacks to living near the ocean as well.

spikeddem

Mar 11, 2011, 3:01 PM
Post #227 of 509 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
Rufsen wrote:
enigma wrote:

What's your thought on blue zones where people live 100 and stay healthy, such as Okinawa, Ikaria, Sardina. and Costa Rica island on the Nicoya Penisula ? Are these people eating differently? What do you attribute these blue zones relationship and their diet?

So populations who live next to the ocean seem to live longer. Maybe something in their diet works swimmingly to protect them against cardiovascular disease.

But what could it be? Something they have in common, somehow related to their diet, these people who live next to the ocean.

Yes, but in light of this morning, we are seeing that there are drawbacks to living near the ocean as well.
The tsunami is a government cover-up.

c4c

Mar 11, 2011, 3:19 PM
Post #228 of 509 (4012 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
camhead wrote:
Rufsen wrote:
enigma wrote:

It's God's wrath on vegetarians.

kachoong

Mar 11, 2011, 3:29 PM
Post #229 of 509 (4005 views)
Shortcut

Re: [c4c] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

c4c wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
camhead wrote:
Rufsen wrote:
enigma wrote:

It's an obvious sign... people need to eat more seaweed.

justroberto

Mar 11, 2011, 3:34 PM
Post #230 of 509 (3999 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
c4c wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
camhead wrote:
Rufsen wrote:
enigma wrote:

It's an obvious sign... people need to eat more seaweed.

And uncooked fish. Sue, gnaw me?

Partner rrrADAM

Mar 11, 2011, 5:36 PM
Post #231 of 509 (3974 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
...where they can predict with a 77% accuracy of living to 100...

Ummm... That's not saying much, since I can 'predict' that with much greater than 77% accuracy, by just 'predicting' that nobody will live to 100, since far less than 23% of people live to that age, therefore the statement that nobody will make it to that age is greater than 77% accurate.

In fact... A quick google check yields percentages of people living to 100 in this day and age, to be between 7% and 14%, depending on the source, so, that would make my statement 86%-93% accurate.

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Mar 11, 2011, 5:38 PM)

jomagam

Mar 11, 2011, 6:08 PM
Post #232 of 509 (3960 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrrADAM] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In fact... A quick google check yields percentages of people living to 100 in this day and age, to be between 7% and 14%, depending on the source, so, that would make my statement 86%-93% accurate.

That seems way off. What are your sources ?

Partner macherry

Mar 11, 2011, 6:23 PM
Post #233 of 509 (3948 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

enigma wrote:

As climbers we need to be healthy and fit .

If you get cancer or heart disease its unlikely you would be able to continue with this sport.

( I can't imagine how awful it must be for someone to be on a list of being recruited by Genetech because they have malignant tumors )

Hoping that their new drug will eradicate their illness.

I appreciate your opinion.

cancer or heart disease is not a death sentence. i believe there are many cancer survivors or people living with cancer and heart disease still participating in athletic activities

jomagam

Mar 11, 2011, 6:30 PM
Post #234 of 509 (3942 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The New England Centurian(sic) Study where they can predict with a 77% accuracy of living to 100

That 77% figure illustrates lies damned lies and statistics very nicely. Is it:

o for 77% percent of the population they can successfully predict if a person lives to be 100 ?

o did 77% of the people that they predicted live to be 100 ?

o if so, what is the ratio of people correctly predicted to live 100 vs people not predicted to live 100, but did

o what was the average/median age of the sample ? 20 ? 50 ? 95 ?

jomagam

Mar 11, 2011, 6:34 PM
Post #235 of 509 (3940 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jomagam] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

From http://outlier.bookofodds.com/...l-You-Live-to-Be-100:

the predicted odds a one-year-old will live to at least 100 years old are 1 in 39.57. Making it through the perilous teenage years raises the odds only slightly; the predicted odds a 21-year-old will live to at least 100 are 1 in 39.29.

But once those candles start piling up in middle age, a long life is looking better and better. At 50, your odds improve to 1 in 37.34, jumping to 1 in 21.48 once you reach 80. Before you know it, you’ll be 90 years old, with 1 in 8.85 odds of making it to the century mark.

jt512

Mar 11, 2011, 6:38 PM
Post #236 of 509 (3932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
What's your thought on blue zones where people live 100 and stay healthy, such as Okinawa, Ikaria, Sardina. and Costa Rica island on the Nicoya Penisula ?

The only one of those regions whose dietary pattern I'm familiar with is Okanawa, which was studied in the 1960s in the Seven Countries Study. The Okinawans had the longest lifespan in the study. Back then, at least, their diet was plant based and low in total and saturated fat. They were also physically active. So, yeah, I think their diet played a role in their longevity.

In reply to:
Are you familiar with The New England Centurian Study where they can predict with a 77% accuracy of living to 100 with your genome ,various genetic markers?

The New England Centenarian Study. This is the first I've heard of it, actually. I looked up their paper that was published in Science, and you're right: they have a genetic model that they claim has 77% predictive power. However, their statistical methodology has received serious criticism.

Jay

sp115

Mar 11, 2011, 6:45 PM
Post #237 of 509 (3921 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
enigma wrote:
What's your thought on blue zones where people live 100 and stay healthy, such as Okinawa, Ikaria, Sardina. and Costa Rica island on the Nicoya Penisula ?

The only one of those regions whose dietary pattern I'm familiar with is Okanawa, which was studied in the 1960s in the Seven Countries Study. The Okinawans had the longest lifespan in the study. Back then, at least, their diet was plant based and low in total and saturated fat. They were also physically active. So, yeah, I think their diet played a role in their longevity.

In reply to:
Are you familiar with The New England Centurian Study where they can predict with a 77% accuracy of living to 100 with your genome ,various genetic markers?

The New England Centenarian Study. This is the first I've heard of it, actually. I looked up their paper that was published in Science, and you're right: they have a genetic model that they claim has 77% predictive power. However, their statistical methodology has received serious criticism.

Jay

It would have been a much more interesting study had it actually been conducted on Centurions.

- just sayin'

Arrogant_Bastard

Mar 11, 2011, 6:51 PM
Post #238 of 509 (3915 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
enigma wrote:

As climbers we need to be healthy and fit .

If you get cancer or heart disease its unlikely you would be able to continue with this sport.

( I can't imagine how awful it must be for someone to be on a list of being recruited by Genetech because they have malignant tumors )

Hoping that their new drug will eradicate their illness.

I appreciate your opinion.

cancer or heart disease is not a death sentence. i believe there are many cancer survivors or people living with cancer and heart disease still participating in athletic activities

I think I agree with what I think you're trying to say, but considering that "heart disease" as an umbrella term is the leading cause of death in most of North America, it could certainly be called a death sentence. Of course, it depends on what you consider "heart disease".

jt512

Mar 11, 2011, 8:32 PM
Post #239 of 509 (3879 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrrADAM] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
enigma wrote:
...where they can predict with a 77% accuracy of living to 100...

Ummm... That's not saying much, since I can 'predict' that with much greater than 77% accuracy, by just 'predicting' that nobody will live to 100, since far less than 23% of people live to that age, therefore the statement that nobody will make it to that age is greater than 77% accurate.

Yes, but although you correctly identify 100% of the non-centenarians, you correctly identify none of the centenarians, which makes your method useless for identifying (or predicting) which individuals are centenarians.

In technical terms, your model has 100% specificity and 0% sensitivity, whereas (a look at the paper reveals) that their model has 77% specificity and 77% sensitivity. They have sacrificed the specificity of your model in exchange for sensitivity.

If their model predicts that you are a centenarian, then your odds of actually being a centenarian are 77:23, or 3.35:1. On the other hand, if their model predicts that you are not a centenarian, then the odds that you really are not a centenarian are 23:77, or 0.299:1. Dividing the first odds by the second gives an odds ratio of 11.2.

In other words, if their model predicts that you are a centenarian, then your odds of actually being a centenarian are 11 times that of the average person.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Mar 11, 2011, 10:57 PM)

jt512

Mar 11, 2011, 8:54 PM
Post #240 of 509 (3872 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jomagam] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jomagam wrote:
In reply to:
The New England Centurian(sic) Study where they can predict with a 77% accuracy of living to 100

That 77% figure illustrates lies damned lies and statistics very nicely. Is it:

o for 77% percent of the population they can successfully predict if a person lives to be 100 ?

o did 77% of the people that they predicted live to be 100 ?

o if so, what is the ratio of people correctly predicted to live 100 vs people not predicted to live 100, but did

o what was the average/median age of the sample ? 20 ? 50 ? 95 ?

In the time that you took to write all these questions, you could have looked up the paper and actually found the answers.

Jay

wonderwoman

Mar 11, 2011, 10:39 PM
Post #246 of 509 (3800 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Please don't post personal attacks or quote personal attacks. I can't keep up with you guys via iphone!

chadnsc

Mar 11, 2011, 10:51 PM
Post #247 of 509 (3791 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
Please don't post personal attacks or quote personal attacks. I can't keep up with you guys via iphone!

Excuse me?

I did not post a personal attack or quote one. Jomagam said he wanted us users decide when his conversation with Jay turned personal.

I quoted his post (in which jomagam happened to call Jay a 'dick') and let him know that it turned personal when HE acted immature and resorted to name calling. You hiding jomanam’s and my posts simply give the guy a pass and allow him not to take responsibility for what he wrote.

Oh and put down your I phone. Tongue

Toast_in_the_Machine

Mar 11, 2011, 10:52 PM
Post #248 of 509 (3788 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:

Can we quote spray?

jt512

Mar 11, 2011, 10:54 PM
Post #249 of 509 (3785 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:

Excuse me?

I did not post a personal attack or quote one.

She has a point. I quoted the personal attack as well, which kind of necessitates that the moderator delete our posts, too.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Mar 11, 2011, 10:55 PM)

chadnsc

Mar 11, 2011, 11:08 PM
Post #250 of 509 (3833 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:

Excuse me?

I did not post a personal attack or quote one.

She has a point. I quoted the personal attack as well, which kind of necessitates that the moderator delete our posts, too.

Jay

I know. I just think that when someone says something they should have to stand by it and fess up to it when it was offensive or inappropriate.

Ah to mod us, it's a tough job. Laugh

First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook