Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21 Next page Last page  View All

blueeyedclimber

Mar 12, 2011, 4:48 PM
Post #276 of 509 (4082 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
Very True and Very Moral. In fact later on the thread I have studies from the blue zone areas such as Costa Rica, Okinara, Ikaria, Sardina. and the Nicola Pennisula and they consume a largely vegen diet. The life over 100

More Recently The New England Journal of Medicine published a study with centurians where 77% of the people would live to 100 based on their genome , genetic markers. Included are genes for resilence, as well as diet plays a part.

Both of these research studies are on line google living in blue zones. and New England Journal of Medicine living centurians and you can read the research for yourself.

The most important part is you will unlikely suffer from a heart attack from meat or cancer from saturated fat and poor diet. Stay healthy Smile

Enigma, You do not have to post information about the blue zones and the New England study to EVERYONE that posts. People can read.

And once again, the word is CENTENARIANS, meaning people who live to 100+ years.

This is a centurian.

Josh

jt512

Mar 12, 2011, 5:56 PM
Post #277 of 509 (4064 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
Out of curiosity, and separately from this discussion, anyone know how much better olive oil is over butter?

I'd say infinitely better. Olive oil is a monounsaturated fat rich in antioxidants. Butter is high in saturated fat, and poor in antioxidants. There's no comparison. I haven't had a stick of butter in my house for at least 25 years. If it were up to me the only oils I'd use would be olive and canola, the latter providing omega-3 fatty acids. Unfortunately, my girlfriend has an irrational suspicion of canola oil, so we use some Mazola "Corn Plus" oil, which is a blend of corn and canola oils.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Mar 13, 2011, 7:41 AM)

jt512

Mar 12, 2011, 6:09 PM
Post #278 of 509 (4055 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
More Recently The New England Journal of Medicine published a study with centurians where 77% of the people would live to 100 based on their genome . . .

Every time you mention this study (how many times is it now? 6?), your description of it drifts a little further from reality. First of all, the journal was Science, not the NEJM. Secondly, the subjects are centenarians, people over the age of 100; not centurians, which, when spelled with an "o" in place of the "a," were ancient Roman military commanders. Finally, 100% of the subjects in the study are classified as centenarians. The 77% figure comes from a model that the researchers developed from which they can predict with 77% accuracy whether a randomly selected individual from a sample of centenarians versus younger controls was in the centenarian group or not, based on the individual's genome.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Mar 12, 2011, 6:12 PM)

Partner macherry

Mar 12, 2011, 6:38 PM
Post #279 of 509 (4040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
kaizen wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
I eat a lot of fish, which is one of the healthiest things one can eat.
Angelic

While I agree that fish is really healthy and tasty, be careful not to eat tuna, swordfish, and other large fish species with great regularity. Courtesy of bioaccumulation, they can contain a ton of mercury, which can really fuck you up. Jeremy Piven is a good example.

Not to mention that farm raised fish have higher levels of dioxins & other toxicants due to their 'feed'. They really only warn pregnant women / women of childbearing age & children about the Hg levels in predator fish due to potentially harming brain development. But you're right. Mercury isn't really good for anybody.

Yes it is very difficult on the west coast to get wild fish thats not farm raised. There is so much better fish in the east coast and its fresh. I won't eat farmed either.
I do occasionally get salmon and once and a wild I find dover sole from the east coast but it isn't fish. The sell alot of fish from Vietnam , Mexico, and alot of times they say they don't know where its from.

I stopped eating eggs due to that 6 in 10 eggs have salmonella in them.
I was trying to eat more tofu, but I heard its been associated with breast cancer as well.

So what do you eat? How do you get your protein?

i don't believe this is necessarily true. i'd have to do a little research. but i do remember reading that women from japan have a lower incidence of breast cancer and they do eat more soy products

kachoong

Mar 12, 2011, 6:42 PM
Post #280 of 509 (4045 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Out of curiosity, and separately from this discussion, anyone know how much better olive oil is over butter?

I'd say infinitely better. Olive oil is a monounsaturated fat rich in antioxidants. Butter is high in saturated fat, and poor in antioxidant. There's no comparison. I haven't had a stick of butter in my house for at least 25 years. If it were up to me the only oils I'd use would be olive and canola, the latter providing omega-3 fatty acids. Unfortunately, my girlfriend has an irrational suspicion of canola oil, so we use some Mazola "Corn Plus" oil, which is a blend of corn and canola oils.

Jay

I like to use macadamia nut oil, mostly in salads. It does have a fairly high smoke point, being fairly stable for oils in general, but I prefer to saute (if I have to) with canola. It does however have a saturated fat content of about 15% or so, but that's not too bad for a nut. It's also a nice change in taste to oilve oil... I like to switch them out depending on the meal. It also has a good shelf life and is also very low in omega-6, which are those fatty acids that cause rancidity (only 0.5g in 1/4 cup), and are common in nuts.

jt512

Mar 12, 2011, 7:24 PM
Post #281 of 509 (4031 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
enigma wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
kaizen wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Angelic

While I agree that fish is really healthy and tasty, be careful not to eat tuna, swordfish, and other large fish species with great regularity. Courtesy of bioaccumulation, they can contain a ton of mercury, which can really fuck you up. Jeremy Piven is a good example.

Not to mention that farm raised fish have higher levels of dioxins & other toxicants due to their 'feed'. They really only warn pregnant women / women of childbearing age & children about the Hg levels in predator fish due to potentially harming brain development. But you're right. Mercury isn't really good for anybody.

Yes it is very difficult on the west coast to get wild fish thats not farm raised. There is so much better fish in the east coast and its fresh. I won't eat farmed either.
I do occasionally get salmon and once and a wild I find dover sole from the east coast but it isn't fish. The sell alot of fish from Vietnam , Mexico, and alot of times they say they don't know where its from.

I was trying to eat more tofu, but I heard its been associated with breast cancer as well.

i don't believe this is necessarily true. i'd have to do a little research. but i do remember reading that women from japan have a lower incidence of breast cancer and they do eat more soy products

Japanese women do have a lower incidence of breast cancer than American women, but that doesn't mean that it's due to soy consumption, and even if it is, that doesn't mean that if American women eat more soy in adulthood that that will lower their breast cancer risk. The best evidence, which is still pretty weak, is that consumption of soy early in life reduces breast cancer risk later.

Jay

jt512

Mar 12, 2011, 7:33 PM
Post #282 of 509 (4026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:

We've already cleared up this misconception. The incidence of salmonella in eggs is on the order of 1 in 10,000. The "6 in 10" figure that you heard is most likely the flock incidence; that is, the proportion of chicken coops in which salmonella is present (or was at the time that this statistic was promulgated—I suspect it is lower now). For whatever reason, the presence of salmonella in the flock is not sufficient to produce salmonella-contaminated eggs.

And, as I also said before, as long as you thoroughly cook your eggs and wash your hands and any utensils and cooking surfaces that came into contact with uncooked eggs, you will not contract salmonella, even if the egg was contaminated.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Mar 12, 2011, 11:30 PM)

jt512

Mar 12, 2011, 7:48 PM
Post #283 of 509 (4022 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

I'd say infinitely better. Olive oil is a monounsaturated fat rich in antioxidants. Butter is high in saturated fat, and poor in antioxidant. There's no comparison. I haven't had a stick of butter in my house for at least 25 years. If it were up to me the only oils I'd use would be olive and canola, the latter providing omega-3 fatty acids. Unfortunately, my girlfriend has an irrational suspicion of canola oil, so we use some Mazola "Corn Plus" oil, which is a blend of corn and canola oils.

Jay

I like to use macadamia nut oil, mostly in salads. It does have a fairly high smoke point, being fairly stable for oils in general, but I prefer to saute (if I have to) with canola. It does however have a saturated fat content of about 15% or so, but that's not too bad for a nut.

FYI, studies of macadamia nuts have shown that they have no effect on serum cholesterol levels—they are the only nut I am aware of that does not have a cholesterol-lowering effect.

In reply to:
It also has a good shelf life and is also very low in omega-6, which are those fatty acids that cause rancidity . . .

Is it true that omega-6 fatty acids are more susceptible to rancidity than omega-3's? Based on the little bit of organic chemistry I know, I would predict the opposite.

Jay

Rufsen

Mar 12, 2011, 7:59 PM
Post #284 of 509 (4013 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Is it true that omega-6 fatty acids are more susceptible to rancidity than omega-3's? Based on the little bit of organic chemistry I know, I would predict the opposite.

Jay

No. It depends on the number of double bonds on the alkyl-chain, not the position of the double bonds. More double bonds increases the risk of oxidation, and production of acetones, ketones etc.

By the way. Whats your opinion on long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids like EPA, DHA in the diet.

jt512

Mar 12, 2011, 8:39 PM
Post #285 of 509 (4003 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rufsen] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rufsen wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay

No. It depends on the number of double bonds on the alkyl-chain, not the position of the double bonds. More double bonds increases the risk of oxidation, and production of acetones, ketones etc.

So, you are agreeing with me that omega-3s should be less stable than omega-6s, right? Also, clearly the position of double bonds in a molecule affects the stability of the molecule.

In reply to:
By the way. Whats your opinion on long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids like EPA, DHA in the diet.

They're important, and most of us don't consume enough of them.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Mar 13, 2011, 7:45 AM)

milesenoell

Mar 12, 2011, 9:06 PM
Post #286 of 509 (3995 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

Jay

Switching in corn oil instead of canola oil for health concerns? That strikes me as totally backward.

jt512

Mar 12, 2011, 9:10 PM
Post #287 of 509 (3992 views)
Shortcut

Re: [milesenoell] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

milesenoell wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

Jay

Switching in corn oil instead of canola oil for health concerns? That strikes me as totally backward.

Yes, hence the term "irrational."

Jay

milesenoell

Mar 12, 2011, 9:11 PM
Post #288 of 509 (3990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
macherry wrote:
enigma wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
kaizen wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Angelic

Japanese women do have a lower incidence of breast cancer than American women, but that doesn't mean that it's due to soy consumption, and even if it is, that doesn't mean that if American women eat more soy in adulthood that that will lower their breast cancer risk. The best evidence, which is still pretty weak, is that consumption of soy early in life reduces breast cancer risk later.

Jay

Considering that soy is not only one of the most prevalent GMO products, but also one of the first GMO foods to hit the market, I see GMO/natural status as a potentially significant factor in examining the links between soy consumption and health outcomes.

Rufsen

Mar 12, 2011, 9:46 PM
Post #289 of 509 (3977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Rufsen wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay

So, you are agreeing with me that omega-3s should be less stable than omega-6s, right? Also, clearly the position of double bonds in a molecule effects the stability of a molecule.

Jay

Yes, omega-3 would be less stable since they have more double bonds. Im not sure how the position would affect stability in this situation.

I tried to see if i could find some data comparing the oxidation rate of a-Linolenic acid and Arachidonic acid, but i failed miserably.

(This post was edited by Rufsen on Mar 12, 2011, 9:47 PM)

jt512

Mar 12, 2011, 9:59 PM
Post #290 of 509 (3969 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rufsen] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rufsen wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Rufsen wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay

So, you are agreeing with me that omega-3s should be less stable than omega-6s, right? Also, clearly the position of double bonds in a molecule effects the stability of a molecule.

Jay

Yes, omega-3 would be less stable since they have more double bonds. Im not sure how the position would affect stability in this situation.

My very limited understanding is that if the double bonds aren't conjugated, then the further apart they are the more stable the molecule is, so the —C=C—C—C=C— pattern in polyunsaturated fatty acids, where the double bonds are separated by exactly two single bonds, is the least stable pattern. And this, I think, is why polyunsaturated fatty acids are so much less stable than monounsaturated fatty acids: it's not just that they have more double bonds, but that their pattern is particularly destabilizing.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Mar 12, 2011, 10:07 PM)

Rufsen

Mar 12, 2011, 10:12 PM
Post #291 of 509 (3961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Rufsen wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Rufsen wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay

Jay

My very limited understanding is that if the double bonds aren't conjugated, then the further apart they are the more stable the molecule is, so the —C=C—C—C=C— pattern in polyunsaturated fatty acids, where the double bonds are separated by exactly two single bonds, is the least stable pattern. And this, I think, is why polyunsaturated fatty acids are so much less stable than monounsaturated fatty acids: it's not just that they have more double bonds, but that their pattern is particularly destabilizing.

Jay

Ah, i misunderstood what you meant by position. The non-conjungated double bonds are weaker than the conjungated.

I thought you meant that a non-conjugated n-3 double bond would be weaker than one in the n-6 position.

Partner macherry

Mar 12, 2011, 10:20 PM
Post #292 of 509 (3957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
macherry wrote:
enigma wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
kaizen wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Angelic

Jay

i should have been more clear, i didn't mean to imply that eating soy lead to lower rates of breast cancer among japanese, i meant that i did not believe there was proven link between soy consumption and breast cancer.

i'd also like to point out to enigma that soy is used as a filler in many processed foods. you can't necessarily avoid it just by taking tofu out of your diet.

marc801

Mar 12, 2011, 10:48 PM
Post #293 of 509 (3948 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
There is so much better fish in the east coast and its fresh.
If it's caught out at sea in deep water, it's flash-frozen on board. Very little fish anywhere is actually "fresh" as in never having been frozen. And all sushi in the US (with a couple of exceptions) must be held frozen for a prescribed length of time to kill off possible parasites. From the FDA website:
"Freezing and storing at -4°F (-20°C) or below for 7 days (total time),

or freezing at -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at -31°F (-35°C) or below for 15 hours,

or freezing at -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at -4°F (-20°C) or below for 24 hours

is sufficient to kill parasites. FDA's Food Code recommends these freezing conditions to retailers who provide fish intended for raw consumption."

enigma wrote:
...I find dover sole from the east coast but it isn't fish.
If it's not fish, then what is it? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solea_solea

In reply to:
The sell alot of fish from Vietnam , Mexico, and alot of times they say they don't know where its from.
This is illegal. All fish sold in this country must have a country of origin label.
http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/COOL

enigma wrote:
That statement is blatantly false.

In reply to:
Egg Industry Statement Regarding Egg Safety
WASHINGTON, June 30 1999

``The chance of encountering an egg contaminated with Salmonella Enteritidis (SE) is very small and the possibility of becoming ill from (SE) can be eliminated completely with proper handling and cooking,'' according to Jill Snowdon, Ph.D., director of food safety for the American Egg Board's Egg Nutrition Center. Based on calculations from the 1998 USDA Salmonella Risk Assessment Report, one egg per 20,000 is contaminated with SE (.005%). According to John Mason, D.V.M., M.P.H., the former director of the USDA Salmonella Enteritidis Control Program,

``Based on USDA's statistics, the average consumer would encounter a contaminated egg only once in 42 years. And then, that egg would have to be time and temperature abused to contribute to a health problem.'' The risk of contracting egg-related Salmonella is extremely low for healthy individuals, according to Dr. Mason. ``There is one outbreak for every one billion eggs consumed,'' he said.

Also: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/ophs/risk/

enigma wrote:
What do you mean by associated? That it causes breast cancer or that it prevents it? There have been far too few studies and far too inconclusive to make any sort of assessment.
http://breastcancer.about.com/...il/a/soy_bc_diet.htm

Perhaps you could do some research before making unsubstantiated claims.

hafilax

Mar 13, 2011, 12:17 AM
Post #294 of 509 (3936 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
milesenoell wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

Jay

Yes, hence the term "irrational."

Jay
Canola is a little strange and somewhat unique in the oils. It comes from the seeds of the rapeseed plant which is poisonous. They somehow genetically modified it so that the poisonous part can be removed. By the numbers it seems relatively healthy.

Olive oil is definitely the best of the unheated oils. Depending on the specific olive oil used it can become pretty unstable when heated to frying temperatures. Not all olive oils are equal.

If you're not afraid of saturated fat then coconut oil is one of the more stable frying oils since saturated fats are more temperature stable. It is also pretty flavourless.

jt512

Mar 13, 2011, 2:04 AM
Post #295 of 509 (3918 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:
If you're not afraid of saturated fat then coconut oil is one of the more stable frying oils since saturated fats are more temperature stable. It is also pretty flavourless.

And you should be afraid of saturated fat.

Jay

spikeddem

Mar 13, 2011, 2:23 AM
Post #296 of 509 (3909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This thread is starting to make me feel bad about my diet. I may have to fix some things.

hafilax

Mar 13, 2011, 2:35 AM
Post #297 of 509 (3903 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
hafilax wrote:

Jay
You need some saturated fat in your diet don't you?

jt512

Mar 13, 2011, 3:05 AM
Post #298 of 509 (3891 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:
jt512 wrote:
hafilax wrote:

Jay
You need some saturated fat in your diet don't you?

No. None whatsoever.

Jay

jt512

Mar 13, 2011, 3:26 AM
Post #299 of 509 (3883 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:

In reply to:
WASHINGTON, June 30 1999

``The chance of encountering an egg contaminated with Salmonella Enteritidis (SE) is very small and the possibility of becoming ill from (SE) can be eliminated completely with proper handling and cooking,'' according to Jill Snowdon, Ph.D., director of food safety for the American Egg Board's Egg Nutrition Center. Based on calculations from the 1998 USDA Salmonella Risk Assessment Report, one egg per 20,000 is contaminated with SE (.005%). According to John Mason, D.V.M., M.P.H., the former director of the USDA Salmonella Enteritidis Control Program,

``Based on USDA's statistics, the average consumer would encounter a contaminated egg only once in 42 years. And then, that egg would have to be time and temperature abused to contribute to a health problem.''

I don't know abut the "average consumer," but I think that these statistics argue for caution in handling eggs. Assume that the USDA estimate is correct: 1 egg per 20,000 is contaminated with salmonella. Then, if you eat two eggs a day, your chances of encountering a contaminated egg are 5% after a year and a half, 10% after three years, 25% after 8 years, 50% after 19 years, and 75% after 38 years. Assuming that you cook these eggs properly, and wash your hands after cracking open the raw eggs to cook them, no problem; but if you are a raw food wacko or you aren't careful about washing your hands after handling the eggs, then you have a better than 50:50 chance of being exposed to salmonella in your lifetime from a contaminated egg. I don't know what that means in terms of actually contracting salmonella—presumably not everyone who is exposed gets sick—but it argues for caution.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Mar 13, 2011, 5:21 AM)

marc801

Mar 13, 2011, 5:15 AM
Post #300 of 509 (4636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
marc801 wrote:

In reply to:
WASHINGTON, June 30 1999

``Based on USDA's statistics, the average consumer would encounter a contaminated egg only once in 42 years. And then, that egg would have to be time and temperature abused to contribute to a health problem.''

I don't know abut the "average consumer," but I think that these statistics argue for caution in handling eggs. Assuming 1 egg per 20,000 is contaminated with salmonella, then if you eat two eggs a day, your chances of encountering a contaminated egg are 5% after a year and a half, 10% after three years, 25% after 8 years, 50% after 19 years, and 75% after 38 years. Assuming that you cook these eggs properly, and wash your hands after cracking open the raw eggs to cook them, no problem; but if you are raw a food nut, or aren't careful about washing your hands after handling the eggs, you have a better than 50:50 chance of being exposed to salmonella in your lifetime from a contaminated egg. I don't know what that means in terms of actually contracting salmonella; presumably not everyone who is exposed gets sick.
Your statistical analysis is correct, but look at what I emphasized. If you're healthy and you follow proper kitchen cleanliness protocol, it's pretty damned unlikely you'll become sick.

First page Previous page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook