Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Partner drector

May 30, 2008, 9:47 PM
Post #126 of 228 (23589 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fjclimbsrocks] Gunks High E screaming girl/Cut Rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

fjclimbsrocks wrote:
...sense of entitlement...

Funny how that type of insult always gets said in the context of "It's mine. How dare them act entitled to it!"

Dave

Partner gunksgoer

May 30, 2008, 11:02 PM
Post #127 of 228 (23516 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drector] Gunks High E screaming girl/Cut Rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I find this to be very amusing. In fact, its exactly why I avoided the gunks over the weekend and went surfing.

Also, If anyone has ever been terrified to make the move and heard "ITS A JUG!!!" shouted up from the carriage road, that was me.

sween345

May 30, 2008, 11:59 PM
Post #128 of 228 (23479 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunksgoer] Gunks High E screaming girl/Cut Rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe this helps to envision the scene. http://imglarge.mountainproject.com/105798831_2616d8.jpg

stymingersfink

May 31, 2008, 12:01 AM
Post #129 of 228 (23475 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've yet to get to the Gunks, but I'd like to climb there sometime. However, with all the beta being thrown around in this thread you guys have totally ruined my chance to get the onsight of this route that I was fully entitled to.

Thanks.

Thanks a lot. Tongue

And FWIW, the fall onto the sling should have been less than a FF2, probably more like a <FF1 penji. Still, having experienced one of those once, I would have to say they are less than enjoyable, and highly memorable. A good motivator to prevent such things from occurring in the future at the least.

Partner angry

May 31, 2008, 9:35 AM
Post #130 of 228 (23338 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Gunks High E screaming girl/Cut Rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Off topic here, I guess.

In rigging a slackline, you pull a hell of a lot of stretch out of the webbing. It can't be totally static.

I guess I rigged a tightrope with a static line once and still pulled a hell of a lot of stretch out of it.

I can't remember which stretches more.

That 1-2% seems low for both from what I recall. It is 3:30 in the morning and I've got a beer in my hand, so whatever.

stymingersfink

May 31, 2008, 10:19 AM
Post #131 of 228 (23329 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Gunks High E screaming girl/Cut Rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
Off topic here, I guess.

In rigging a slackline, you pull a hell of a lot of stretch out of the webbing. It can't be totally static.

I guess I rigged a tightrope with a static line once and still pulled a hell of a lot of stretch out of it.

I can't remember which stretches more.

That 1-2% seems low for both from what I recall. It is 3:30 in the morning and I've got a beer in my hand, so whatever.
IDK which has more stretch when comparing low-stretch static line and nylon webbing...

nylon has more stretch than dyneema or spectra though.

my daisy fall was caught by a spectra daisy, not too high FF, still pretty nasty (when compared to being caught by a dynamic rope). Wouldn't recommend it for anyone. Period.

it's 4:19a.m. MST.

Got a minute?

ah, nevermind. I'm off to bed.

lates.

Partner cracklover

Jun 3, 2008, 2:58 PM
Post #132 of 228 (23061 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Gunks High E screaming girl/Cut Rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Finally someone who actually was involved posted this:

Tim_on_Gunks.com wrote:
I am very surprised how many people judged without having all the information. I was in the party of three on the ledge that rescued the girl. She was hanging over the roof and was on a path to total panic. She was dangling in thin air and could not climb over the roof. We tried to get the leader to lower her down to the ledge but there was no response. After several minutes we were not confident the leader could handle the situation at hand. Our lead climber ascended to the roof with our second rope and setup and anchor. He put the rope through the anchor, which was slightly above her waist. She was close enough to grab our rope and tie in using a figure 8 knot. Then I put on her on belay. With the rope tight her feet were about a foot or so from the cliff. Still we heard nothing from her leader. Therefore we suggested she cut the rope and when she did she landed softly on to the cliff as if on a top rope. Then I lowered to the ledge. We got her safely to the repel station and got her down to the ground safely.

The lesson here is not to have inexperienced climbers cowtailed together 15 feet apart on any climb, let alone one like HE. From the moment they started the climb we all thought they could easily get into trouble.

GO

c4c

Jun 3, 2008, 3:18 PM
Post #133 of 228 (23025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gunksgoer wrote:
I find this to be very amusing. In fact, its exactly why I avoided the gunks over the weekend and went surfing.

Also, If anyone has ever been terrified to make the move and heard "ITS A JUG!!!" shouted up from the carriage road, that was me.

Everything at the gunks is a jug. or "very positive" at least.

hyhuu

Jun 3, 2008, 3:40 PM
Post #134 of 228 (22975 views)
Shortcut

Re: [c4c] Gunks High E screaming girl/Cut Rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you climbed "Welcome to the Gunks" ?

c4c wrote:

Everything at the gunks is a jug. or "very positive" at least.

Partner rrrADAM

Jun 3, 2008, 3:48 PM
Post #135 of 228 (22947 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hyhuu] Gunks High E screaming girl/Cut Rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Karen and I didn't have quite the same excitement when we climbed it:

getout87

Jun 4, 2008, 5:54 PM
Post #136 of 228 (22630 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrrADAM] Gunks High E screaming girl/Cut Rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So, after reading the first hand post, I'm glad to hear that the rescue wasn't as much of a cluster as we had first thought. Still incredibly dumb on the leader of the first party's part though, he could have saved all that trouble.

blueeyedclimber

Jun 4, 2008, 6:28 PM
Post #137 of 228 (22566 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:

Tim_on_Gunks.com wrote:
I am very surprised how many people judged without having all the information. I was in the party of three on the ledge that rescued the girl. She was hanging over the roof and was on a path to total panic. She was dangling in thin air and could not climb over the roof. We tried to get the leader to lower her down to the ledge but there was no response. After several minutes we were not confident the leader could handle the situation at hand. Our lead climber ascended to the roof with our second rope and setup and anchor. He put the rope through the anchor, which was slightly above her waist. She was close enough to grab our rope and tie in using a figure 8 knot. Then I put on her on belay. With the rope tight her feet were about a foot or so from the cliff. Still we heard nothing from her leader. Therefore we suggested she cut the rope and when she did she landed softly on to the cliff as if on a top rope. Then I lowered to the ledge. We got her safely to the repel station and got her down to the ground safely.

The lesson here is not to have inexperienced climbers cowtailed together 15 feet apart on any climb, let alone one like HE. From the moment they started the climb we all thought they could easily get into trouble.

GO

THanks, Gabe. I am very curious, though, was the leader peeved that his rope was cut. Cool

I see a potential accident every time I go there. Instead of complaining about it, however, I am usually on the ready to help, if need be. I am glad someone else feels that way to and rushed into action.

Josh

elvislegs

Jun 4, 2008, 6:55 PM
Post #138 of 228 (22521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:

Tim_on_Gunks.com wrote:

GO

...and with that, the armchair internet salad tossing came to an end.

knieveltech

Jun 4, 2008, 7:30 PM
Post #139 of 228 (22453 views)
Shortcut

Re: [elvislegs] Gunks High E screaming girl/Cut Rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

elvislegs wrote:
...and with that, the armchair internet salad tossing came to an end.

Clearly you underestimate the willingness of forum goers to continue tossing salad well after the point of diminishing returns has been reached.

olderic

Jun 4, 2008, 7:33 PM
Post #140 of 228 (22442 views)
Shortcut

Re: [elvislegs] Gunks High E screaming girl/Cut Rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Because I have mutiple crisis in process at work I need a divergence so will try my hand at stirring the pot a bit - don't want the unasked for advice being given from the cheap seats to end I guess - this all has been very entertaining. So:

I think the encouragement and assistence in cutting the rope was an extreme act of showboating and granstanding on the part of party 2. If they were able to set up an anchor above the victim and take some of the weight off (you can now all pontificate about your N to 1 pulley systems or you could have just pulled on the 2nd rope) then she could have worked on simply untieing the knot (yes I am sure it was "welded shut" after all her thrashing - but there was no rush). And that leads to my main point - this seems to be a case of trying to rush to a solution. What was the rush - darkness, storm, serious PHYSICAL injury? - I haven't heard evidence of any of those. Did anyone make an effort to contact the leader (who after all was the key figure) besides bellowing? If someone was able to get in position to establish an anchor above the victim they should have been able to climb past and to the top. Alternatively climb another pitch (last of Double-issima or the top pitch of the rap route) or maybe just walk out right on the GT ledge towards the rap route where bellowing communications would have worked.

In summary I think some one was a little over anxious to use the old belay knife trick. And maybe the fault shouldn't all be directed at party 2 - seems like enough other people were around gawking, taking pictues etc. but no one was making a serious effort of communicating with the leader on top.

Partner happiegrrrl

Jun 4, 2008, 9:30 PM
Post #141 of 228 (22317 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] Gunks High E screaming girl/Cut Rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll toss a bit of gas on the fire, or at least shake out the near empty cup of booze left at the camp into the fire, too...

....and suggest that getting the last 10 feet lopped off his rope is the very least punishment the leader on party 1 should have received for such bad leadership!

jsh

Jun 4, 2008, 10:23 PM
Post #142 of 228 (22267 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with you, Eric. Party 2 was too quick to hand a panicked newbie a knife. Other folks around, could have stepped in sooner, and should have stuck around to drill some sense into them later. But my primary concern is with the leader of the 1st party. I'd like to know exactly WTF the leader of Party 1 was doing.

According to Eman, he rigged a pulley, which means two things: 1) he had some amount of rope skill, and thus could (should!) have figured out lowering them. 2) He was *not* back in the woods stuck to a frozen autoblock, and thus was in some position to communicate. He was moving around, had some skills, and could hear. So where was his input to all this? In my mind, if she'd died of a cut rope, it would have been his fault first.

Adk

Jun 4, 2008, 10:27 PM
Post #143 of 228 (22260 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Gunks High E screaming girl/Cut Rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow!! That was a big flair up in that fire. Easy with the gas!! Laugh I'd like blue cheese dressing on my salad...and pass me a beer! Saranac Pale Ale please! There is plenty behind your chair.
I'm getting the smores ready

jakedatc

Jun 4, 2008, 10:38 PM
Post #144 of 228 (22250 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
In summary I think some one was a little over anxious to use the old belay knife trick. And maybe the fault shouldn't all be directed at party 2 - seems like enough other people were around gawking, taking pictues etc. but no one was making a serious effort of communicating with the leader on top.

Not to mention the dangers of having a knife in the hands of someone a)who's freaked out b)in an unstable place c) will then have multiple ropes attached and could become confused.

then even if that is fine you still have a person falling with a knife.. near other people and gear. Or a knife falling 2 pitches down onto who knows how many people below.

It isn't that hard to get up P3 of High E.. some one could have quickly led up it and either helped the belayer or taken over the controls to lower the girl down. I think "hey.. we're going to go up there and get him to lower you.. just hang tight (sigh pun)" woulda been much better then "here's a different rope and a knife"

shockabuku

Jun 5, 2008, 1:04 AM
Post #145 of 228 (22146 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
Because I have mutiple crisis in process at work I need a divergence so will try my hand at stirring the pot a bit - don't want the unasked for advice being given from the cheap seats to end I guess - this all has been very entertaining. So:

I think the encouragement and assistence in cutting the rope was an extreme act of showboating and granstanding on the part of party 2. If they were able to set up an anchor above the victim and take some of the weight off (you can now all pontificate about your N to 1 pulley systems or you could have just pulled on the 2nd rope) then she could have worked on simply untieing the knot (yes I am sure it was "welded shut" after all her thrashing - but there was no rush). And that leads to my main point - this seems to be a case of trying to rush to a solution. What was the rush - darkness, storm, serious PHYSICAL injury? - I haven't heard evidence of any of those. Did anyone make an effort to contact the leader (who after all was the key figure) besides bellowing? If someone was able to get in position to establish an anchor above the victim they should have been able to climb past and to the top. Alternatively climb another pitch (last of Double-issima or the top pitch of the rap route) or maybe just walk out right on the GT ledge towards the rap route where bellowing communications would have worked.

happiegrrrl wrote:
I'll toss a bit of gas on the fire, or at least shake out the near empty cup of booze left at the camp into the fire, too...

....and suggest that getting the last 10 feet lopped off his rope is the very least punishment the leader on party 1 should have received for such bad leadership!

jsh wrote:
I agree with you, Eric. Party 2 was too quick to hand a panicked newbie a knife. Other folks around, could have stepped in sooner, and should have stuck around to drill some sense into them later. But my primary concern is with the leader of the 1st party. I'd like to know exactly WTF the leader of Party 1 was doing.

According to Eman, he rigged a pulley, which means two things: 1) he had some amount of rope skill, and thus could (should!) have figured out lowering them. 2) He was *not* back in the woods stuck to a frozen autoblock, and thus was in some position to communicate. He was moving around, had some skills, and could hear. So where was his input to all this? In my mind, if she'd died of a cut rope, it would have been his fault first.

jakedatc wrote:
olderic wrote:

Not to mention the dangers of having a knife in the hands of someone a)who's freaked out b)in an unstable place c) will then have multiple ropes attached and could become confused.

then even if that is fine you still have a person falling with a knife.. near other people and gear. Or a knife falling 2 pitches down onto who knows how many people below.

It isn't that hard to get up P3 of High E.. some one could have quickly led up it and either helped the belayer or taken over the controls to lower the girl down. I think "hey.. we're going to go up there and get him to lower you.. just hang tight (sigh pun)" woulda been much better then "here's a different rope and a knife"

These statements/accusations are outrageous! I can't believe you people can't have more sympathy for this poor girl, probably on her first significant outdoor climbing experience, and realize how scared she could be not to mention that the leader was probably trying to do a good job but maybe just wasn't able to deal with things as fast as the party below. Shame on you!

jakedatc

Jun 5, 2008, 1:44 AM
Post #146 of 228 (22111 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Gunks High E screaming girl/Cut Rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

exactly where was my accusation? I thought that my solution was far more safe and calming than giving the girl a fucking knife while dangling in the air. You think that telling her to cut her own rope will make her MORE calm than telling her that in a few minutes someone will go lower her down slowly?

Did it work... yea.. do i think it was the best solution. no.

bigredscowboy

Jun 5, 2008, 1:49 AM
Post #147 of 228 (22107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quick action is a necessity for a panicked noOb, but cutting the rope was a poor solution on the second parties part. Any number of other efficient solutions (prussik, pulley, etc.) could have been acted upon rather than handing a scared girl a sharp object and teaching her that this is the best way out of a poor situation.

bobruef

Jun 5, 2008, 1:51 AM
Post #148 of 228 (22103 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
olderic wrote:

happiegrrrl wrote:

jsh wrote:

jakedatc wrote:
olderic wrote:

These statements/accusations are outrageous! I can't believe you people can't have more sympathy for this poor girl, probably on her first significant outdoor climbing experience, and realize how scared she could be not to mention that the leader was probably trying to do a good job but maybe just wasn't able to deal with things as fast as the party below. Shame on you!

I've read these quoted statements through three times and have yet to find criticism of the girl. On the contrary, it seems the criticisms being leveled are centered around the position she was reportedly put in by both parties involved.

rangerrob

Jun 5, 2008, 2:21 AM
Post #149 of 228 (22072 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bobruef] Gunks High E screaming girl/Cut Rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Why is everyone so up in arms about a rope being cut? It's not like this is a total taboo. whether she untied, or cut the rope makes little difference in the end, except that the dumbass whos rope it was now has a short rope. Why would anyone but him care about that. I just don't know where all this " You should NEVER EVER cut the rope crap comes from. Climbers wind up cutting their ropes for all sorts of situations, including dangling beginners in a sheer state of petrification. Shit, I've heard of guides literally shoving and throwing their clients off the edge when the client was too scared to move. Maybe peopl ejust like to make bigger issues out of things than they really are.

RR

onceahardman

Jun 5, 2008, 2:35 AM
Post #150 of 228 (22055 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rangerrob] Gunks High E screaming girl/Cut Rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"Wrap the rope around you, John...Now, cut the rope above you"...

"YOU'RE LIMPING, BEN"...

"Cut the rope above you, John"...

You're limping, Ben...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook